Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 605B cabinet differences

  1. #1
    Inactive Member targeteye's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all. MY GPA rebuilt 605B are in route back to me as I type this. So now i'm thinking about cabinets. For testing purposes I have some 6 foot cu in ported cabinets. However I do not like the foot print.

    I've always been intrigued by the duplex equipped Stonehenge speakers. their are Stonehenge designs on the web for the 604 Stonehenge speaker. What should I do to this plan to tune this cabinet for a 605B vs the 604?

    THanks
    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Depends on the re-coned driver's specs, the room and where they're placed, though if you use a high output impedance amp they'll probably be fine as is.

    Really though, none of the plans I've seen get the driver up around ear height or higher, so I recommend you consider a more optimized cab for HIFI than the consumer marketing 'runts' when building your own.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member targeteye's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM,
    In speaking with GPA they put 604E cones in them. How different 604E cones are from the original 605B cones I have no idea. I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't have 605B specific cones but perhaps thats asking a bit much considering there aren't that many of these speakers out there. For all I know the 604E cone may be superior.

    It would seem your not a fan of the "stonehenge". Frankly I was going to move the speaker placement up as high as I could in the cabinets and I could always scure the speakers to some sand filled stands at some point.

    Is there a better choice for a cabinet that will fit in a 20x12 room without dominating the entire room?

    Thanks
    Steve

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 605 and 604 shared a cone, the motor seems to be the big difference.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ?1?

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 28, 2008 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brennan ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Tom Brennan:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 605 and 604 shared a cone...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'd be correct in that assumption in this case. Doesn't matter if you call it a 605B LF kit or a 604E LF kit, it's the same thing, an R604E.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MANZANITA's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2002
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello...

    Here are the specs I measured using the Parts Express WT-3 woofer tester that are pretty consistant for the 3 605A drivers that Bill at GPA rebuilt for me with the 604E cone......

    This data was exported from the Dayton Audio WT3 Woofer Tester. The above is after some substantial break-in and time...
    *
    * Manufacturer:
    * Model:
    * Piston Diameter = 322.6 mm
    * f(s)= 25.57 Hz
    * R(e)= 12.45 Ohms
    * Z(max)= 116.90 Ohms
    * Q(ms)= 3.215
    * Q(es)= 0.383
    * Q(ts)= 0.342
    * V(as)= 742.800 liters (26.230 cubic feet)
    * L(e)= 2.31 mH
    * n(0)= 3.09 %
    * SPL= 97.00 1W/1m
    * M(ms)= 48.93 grams
    * C(ms)= 0.79 mm/N
    * BL= 15.98

    The other two have a slightly lower over all QTS more like .31 or so... and slightly lower VAS of about 680 liters... but if you run the numbers.. a 8 or so cubic box tuned to around 37 hz seem to be the best set up... YMMV.

    Hope this info helps..

    Manzanita

  8. #8
    Inactive Member targeteye's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2007
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    manzanita!!! thanks much for the specs. Not sure I can pull off an 8 Cu Foot cabinet though.

    6 is probably as big as I can go.

    Steve

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Even with both of you using the same moving assembly, I'm not so sure how usable an "A"s measurements are for a "B". The lit gives differing gap flux between the two, with 13k for the 605A, and 11k for the 605B.

    Whether the variance is a measurement error, a misprint, or an indication of a wider gap in the "B" I know not. If the lit is correct, Bl would vary, as well as anything dependant on it.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 29, 2008 01:14 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.